Allow Me To Educate You A Little Bit About Our Rock N’ Roll History…..
It’s been half a century since the greatest year in music has emerged. It was something special, and it was a “HISTORY” in the making.
The year 1967 was an important one for “Classic Rock,” and was commonly known for its “Summer of Love” in San Francisco. It saw major releases from the Beatles, the Doors, Jimi Hendrix, and the Moody Blues and many more! 1967 was the year of most influential bands and artist all came into being, and released their most groundbreaking record album, and some of them were a debut.
Let’s learn about the Rock N’ Roll History in 1967,
The 1967 Rock Music History Timeline:
- “The Doors” – The Doors – This was the moment where the legendary band from L.A. released their debut album which goes to #2, #43 and features one of their iconic songs “Light My Fire” which goes to #1 US, #7 UK.
- “Ruby Tuesday” – The Rolling Stones, a song written by Keith Richards that takes them to the No.1 spot in the US, and No.3 in the UK.
- The Beatles release their prolific psychedelic double single “Strawberry Fields Forever” and “Penny Lane.”
- The iconic band from San Francisco The Jefferson Airplane releases the “Surrealistic Pillow” album and achieves two US Top Ten hits with “White Rabbit” and “Somebody To Love.”
- The Andy Warhol managed legendary rock band released their debut album called “The Velvet Underground and Nico.” It was an incredible album, but sadly it only reached #171 in the US — though it is now considered one of the best albums of all time.
- The Grateful Dead release their self-titled debut album which hits the #73 spot in the US.
- The Jimi Hendrix Experience released their debut album that made us experienced greatness, the “Are You Experienced?” album. Later in the year, they also released immediately the album, “Axis: Bold As Love“
- The Beatles release their arguably greatest album, “Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.” The album that put everyone in AWE, and would top the charts for 15 weeks in the US, 27 weeks in the UK and would win the ‘68 for Best Album of the year Grammy Award. What can I say, they are the Beatles…
- This one is important, the world introduces us to the UK’s legendary psychedelic rock band Pink Floyd as they release their debut album “The Piper At The Gates of Dawn” and did go to #6 in the UK.
- The US meets the super-group from the UK, the power trio band “Cream,” for the first time in a US Tour.
- UK’s legend “The Who” have their first and the only one US Top Ten hit with “I Can See For Miles.” And later in the year, they smash their instruments on a TV show.
- The Moody Blues release their one of the prominent album of the year, “Days of Future Passed” that hit #27 in the UK, and in 5 years it would hit #3 in the US.
1967 was a worldwide cultural change, authority questioning, personal freedom, and psychedelic exploration. The year 1967 has lived on untiringly throughout the decades — hence, “Classic Rock” was born, and they don’t call it that for nothing.
Hope you enjoyed it! — Check out and listen to the top songs of “1967” on the playlist below!